Tuesday, August 09, 2005

The versitility of words - python-style

I love words, especially the words of the English language. I love, how a simple change from one word to another can evoke an entirely different meaning. I love, how one word can mean several things depending on its context. I love, how the sound of a particular word can entice a relationship thereto.

Being British, my use of language when feeling particularly emotive leans far more often towards the lesser evils of poop, buggar and bloody, but none can deny, there is one word that makes an impression like almost no other.

In the words of Monty Python;
Perhaps one of the most interesting words in the English language today, is the word f***.
Of all the English words beginning with F, f*** is the single one referred to as the "f-word".
It's the one magical word.
Just by its sound it can describe pain, pleasure, hate and love.
F***, as most of the other words in English, has arrived from Germany. F*** from German's "fliechen", which means to strike.
In English, f*** folds into many grammatical categories.
As a transital verb for instance, "John f***ed Shirley".
As an intransitive verb; "Shirley f***s".
Its meaning is not always sexual, it can be used as an adjective such as; "John's doing all the f***ing work".
As part of an adverb; "Shirley talks too f***ing much".
As an adverb enhancing an adjective; "Shirley is f***ing beautiful".
As a noun; "I don't give a f***".
As part of a word: "abso-f***ing-lutely" or "in-f***ing-credible".
Or as almost every word in a sentence: "f*** the f***ing f***ers!".
As you must realize, there aren't many words with the versitility such as the word f***, as in these examples used as the following words;

  • fraud: "I got f***ed"
  • trouble: "I guess I'm really f***ed now"
  • dismay: "Oh, f*** it!"
  • aggresion: "don't f*** with me, buddy!"
  • difficulty: "I don't understand this f***ing question"
  • inquery: "who the f*** was that?"
  • dissatisfaction: "I don't like what the f*** is going on here"
  • incompetence: "he's a f***-off!"
  • dismissal: "why don't you go outside and f*** yourself?"

Classic python - stretching the boundaries at a time, when almost nobody else dared - and still funny to this day, at least to those of us who love the idiocy of "British" humour.

12 comments:

Justin Thyme said...

Love it!

CYGNUS003 said...

That's f***-ing great!

--pearl-- said...

o0oo00 lol i have this speech on my comp... :) one of my notty frnds put it up to try n get me screwed !! but its sooo dam hilarious..love it :)

Foristell Missouri said...

Funny.

Trée said...

Well, F*** me, as my friend Jack use to always say. Another great post. ;)

Keshi said...

F***ing brilliant post again Autumn! :)

I luv the usefulness of the F word in many contexts altho my ma gets annoyed when I accidentally blurt it out in front of her lol! Coming from an Indian background my family doesnt used the F word much (atleast not as much as I use it:).

The first time a Brit caught my eye using that word so much (almost too much) was in the movie 'Bridget Jones' Diary'. One of Bridget's friends always says the F-word n twas damn funny lol! Oh how I luv the Brits n their cute pommy accent :)

Keshi.

SweetK said...

Absolutely LOVE Monty Python! I'm so glad that BBCAmerica plays Flying Circus. Otherwise, I might never see it. I have to say, Brit humor is, most of the time, much better than that of my native land. We've got our good ones too, but most pale in comparison.

One of my favorite British shows is "The Vicar of Dibley"...Much cleaner than Python, but displays humor on so many levels!

Aseem Shakuntal said...

what the F***.. yet, awesome..

James Burton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Orendon said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Justin said...

We who are about to swear salute you!

-- JD

P.S. Appreciate the comments you leave, as always : )

Anonymous said...

what the f*** is this...how to use the F word?