Friday, November 25, 2005

Definition

"when you think you've reached the end of the line
walls that once blocked your way
come tumbling down
and you'll find the answers were there all the time
"
-Tasmin Archer

The questions one at times finds to be the hardest are often the same ones to which there is a most simple answer, and all that holds us back from seeing it is confusion. Often there seems to be a tendency to cloud basic truths with a myriad of conflicting ideas, inconsequential data that in the greater scheme matter not. In every truth, there will be an undeniable fact, one that when all else is stripped from it and it is laid bare, it is the only thing that really and truly matters. It can be excrutiatingly difficult for the person working their way through, it may even feel like the whole world has spun on its axis and nothing is or will ever be right again. Who am I? What am I? Where am I? What do I do now? Where do I go from here? Fundamental questions that when their answers become elusive can be the scariest.
The heart may feel constricted, as though someone has reached in and is sqeezing the very life out of it. One may feel each breath is a struggle, it may feel like blackness is imminent, like there is no return from the edge that one has unwittingly been pushed towards. Forsight, hindsight, clear sight all merge and everything becomes a blur.
From every place one has travelled to, there is a way back even though the path may be hidden now. All it means is, extra travelling time is needed. Each step may need clearing first. One may have to get down into the dirt in order to find a way. But whatever happens, one cannot stop though it may bring dejection, hopelessness even. Its always worth it in the end and it is this knowledge that can keep someone going, when all else seems to scream out how impossible it all is. Everything, regardless of what it is, has the power to be alright in the end, since the abilty to make it so, lies solely in our own hands and nothing anyone does or says can change that.

23 comments:

mergrl said...

Everything, regardless of what it is, has the power to be alright in the end

wow Autumn, if I was reading a book I would have had my pencil out for underlining with this one. You too have an amazing talent with the written word (hugs)

how are you this afternoon?

Autumn Storm said...

Hugs back :)
Just fine, thank you for asking.
How's it all going your end? Just about ready to head off? Hope you have a wonderful time, say hi to your lovely Mom for me ;)

mergrl said...

say hi to your lovely Mom for me ;)


I will :0)

kri80vt said...

The questions one at times finds to be the hardest are often the same ones to which there is a most simple answer

yes, i do agree..
now answer me one thing.. is it possible for some one to recoil back in life?

Agnes Mitchell said...

It can be excrutiatingly difficult for the person working their way through, it may even feel like the whole world has spun on its axis and nothing is or will ever be right again.
...Forsight, hindsight, clear sight all merge and everything becomes a blur.


Autumn, you have reached in and touched my very soul. I feel as though you have walked a path and found a way through...and found that the answers were there all along. I hope this is the case. The knowledge gives me hope for our future as well.
Blessings to you.

Autumn Storm said...

Aseem, I'd need more detail or a specific context in order to give you a comprehensive answer, but generally, I would say, yes, it is very possible and not only is it possible but it is all too easy. Progress is ongoing and some types of progress are an ongoing battle.

Autumn Storm said...

Agnes, I'm so very touched and awed by all you've written here.
Hugs!!!

isay said...

"From every place one has travelled to, there is a way back even though the path may be hidden now."- i love this autumn.

yes it was snowing and going! i love snow but i can't get enough of it here.

i hope you are both having a nice evening.

Autumn Storm said...

I believe it, Isay, no matter how tragic or horrendous, there is always a way through it! If nothing else then by way of perception.

The snow didn't settle, but I doubt it will be many days before we are wading through it.

Having a wonderful evening, hope you are too.
Well, except for the fact I have aggrevated an already sore throat dueting with Maria on her Karaoke system
:o)

isay said...

i believe in it, too. i think i have been in a similar experience before. life is really mind boggling---

karaoke-would love to do that with both of you! sing away that sore throat!

Autumn Storm said...

Examples that prove the fact all around us, Isay.
We watch and hear of people struggling through unimaginable adversity all the time.
Others who had the most horrific childhoods and grew to embrace life anyway.
I need look no further than to my father's loss of his son, knowing how it broke him, yet still he smiles.
- As said, there is always a way through.

mergrl said...

Hey sweetie, just on for a few, wanted to check in and see how you are doing and say "hi"

SaffronSaris said...

Sometimes, when you have painstakingly peeled back the layers upon layers on confusion and deceit and found out what the answer is, don't you just throw up your hands in sheer irritation when you realise that you knew what the answer was right at the beginning, but refusing to believe in yourself, you took the long route to "rediscover" what you always knew?

mergrl said...

just makin the rounds before I turn in :0) hopefully you are catching up on your sleep.

Lucy Stern said...

The scriptures say, that when the Lord closes a door, he opens a window. Another visual that I like is "When you dig a hole, stop digging!" In other words, stop doing what it is that gets you in a hole. Look up and reach for a helping hand. another saying is "Follow the map", Stay on the right path because if you make a wrong turn you may never fing your way around again.

Yes, many times we have to work hard to correct ourselves. Stopping is like riding the down escalator. Many times we have to work hard walking up the down escalator. It's a little harder to do, but you will eventually get to the stop.

Lucy Stern said...

Sorry, I meant "get to the top."

Autumn Storm said...

Hi Tracey :-).

Saffron, agreed, the ultimate bummer:-). However much we try not to, wasting time seems to be something we are exceedingly good at.

Lucy, thank you, I'm going to be steal that escalator analogy and use it so much, people will get sick of listening to me :-). The 'Follow the Map' one is a little scarier.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

isay said...

good morning sunshine.....! know that song autumn! when i was small there was a television show that begins with that song. so lovely!

Autumn Storm said...

:-)
Sweet Isay, I hope you are having a wonderful Saturday! Love and hugs.

Keshi said...

Beautiful and brilliant post yet again Autumn!

**there is a way back even though the path may be hidden now

this is so beautifully put...I never thought of it that way b4....I learnt so much from just that line...I will look back and try to find that path I so need...

thanks to u!
Keshi.

Autumn Storm said...

Thank you, Keshi.
Hope its easier found than you imagine, x

cheesemeister said...

I relate to that twisting in the heart feeling. It is usually accompanied by a lovely choking sensation. And I have felt it altogether too often!
Peace,
Cheesy

EileenDover said...

Greeting to you Autumn storm. I was lead to you through Linny's blog.
You have a gift to write! "Definition" seems to fit my life at this point in time. Wow!! You gave me such insight and food for thought. I printed it to take home and read again after work.
Thank you!